PANDEMIC TUTORING POLICIES
Dyslexia Tutoring Program (DTP) provides FREE Orton-Gillingham Training classes for volunteers to tutor students in our program. Tutors commit to the training classes and tutoring once a week for a minimum of 60 hours.
You must complete this 60-hour commitment, or you will be billed the cost of the course of $500 for training. Billing will be pro-rated according to the number of hours you tutored.
Contact our office with any questions or concerns regarding your student. Also call us if you have general questions about tutoring.
- A Monthly Report is due at the end of each month, which is especially important at this time.
- All students are re-screened at DTP after every 30 hours of tutoring.
- Please note! DTP’s screening information may not be used for a formal diagnosis in a school or other setting and will not be released for those purposes.
- Because of the pandemic, we are conducting re-screenings virtually.
STATEMENT OF CONFIDENTIALITY
I understand that all information regarding students is confidential, and I agree to participate in the program under these guidelines.
BACKGROUND CHECK POLICY
I understand that as a TUTOR or ADULT STUDENT, I must submit to a background check and verification of references in order to be eligible to tutor a student or be tutored.
PHYSICAL / SEXUAL ABUSE POLICY
DTP prohibits any physical abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect of any participant involved in any of its programs or related events. Any person associated with DTP found to be in violation of this policy will be permanently dismissed. The violator will be permanently forbidden from participating as a tutor or student with DTP and will be barred from any future involvement with the Program. DTP shall report to the local police and the local Department of Social Services for adult or child abuse or any suspected abuse.
SUBSTANCE ABUSE POLICY
DTP is committed to maintaining a secure and safe workplace and tutoring program free from the influence of drugs and alcohol.
I understand that I am expected to abide by this substance abuse policy.
The staff and Board of DTP aspire for everyone in our program to have a positive experience. If you are having a problem with your tutor or a student that you cannot solve on your own, please contact Marcy K. Kolodny, CEO. If there is a problem with a staff member, please contact Marcy K. Kolodny, CEO. The number is 410-889-5487.
TUTOR / STUDENT OBSERVATION PROCEDURE
After eight (8) hours of tutoring, an observation appointment is scheduled, which will take place virtually.
At this observation, the tutor shall provide the instructor with a lesson plan. The tutor will get feedback from the instructor.
ABSENTEEISM POLICY (Excused and Unexcused)
Consistent tutoring is an important part of how DTP measures a student's progress. The following is the policy for cancellations:
- Both tutor and student are to contact each other three (3) hours prior to a scheduled session if either has to cancel, and the cancellation will be considered an excused absence.
- If for any reason a tutor or student does not notify of a cancellation, then such absence will be considered an unexcused absence.
- After three unexcused absences of a student, he or she will be dismissed from the program and will not be eligible to reapply for services until the expiration of a six-month period.
- After three unexcused absences of a tutor, he or she will be dismissed and will be billed $500 for the training course, pro-rated on the hours tutored.
SUMMER VACATION POLICY:
- When the tutor or student plans a summer vacation, please notify our office with the dates when you will be away and the date when tutoring will resume. It is important for our students not to lose two or three months of tutoring, even though it is virtual at this time.
- Tutoring Policy (including the 60-hour requirement)
- Statement of Confidentiality
- Background Check
- Physical / Sexual Abuse
- Substance Abuse
- Grievance Procedure
- Tutor / Student Observation
- Absenteeism and Summer Vacation Policy